Monday 1 February 2016

Kellogg's 5 Grain Muesli Bars - Chocolate & a Blend of Nuts


I'm trying to wean myself off of Nakd Bars, Mr.1T has also become addicted to the Bakewell Tart flavour and its proving to be a rather expensive habit! 
Not that these were much cheaper thanks to Ocado and their ability to show only the new products in each category.
The 5 Grain Muesli bars are, you guessed it, made with 5 grains - wheat, oats, triticale (a hybrid of wheat and rye apparently), rye and barley. There are three flavours and surprise, surprise I chose the Chocolate & a Blend of Nuts flavour. 


Look:
It looks like condensed bird food with a few nuts and some chocolate chunks thrown on top for good measure. There's no point beating about the bush - it does! I could see the blend of nuts throughout the bar, the nuts used are peanuts, almonds and hazelnuts and there seemed a lot more peanuts than the others. 

Smell: 
Initially I thought "ooh that smells chocolatey!" but straight away I realised it's not chocolate like a chocolate bar chocolatey. It smells exactly the same as hot chocolate powder, to be specific Cadbury Highlights hot chocolate powder. The reason for this is probably because the chocolate chunks, strangely, are made using a fat reduced cocoa powder. So it literally was diet chocolate powder I could smell! 

Taste:
The unique selling point of the 5 Grain Muesli bars are that there are 5 grains used, obviously. But there wasn't too much of a difference from other similar cereal bars. It did have a more wholesome, healthy feel to it and it seemed denser and more filling than others but the flavours weren't very apparent. 
 I like my contrasting textures as always, and the nuts add a satisfying crunch through the sticky sweet honey and chewy grains, though the honey does somewhat hide the flavour of the grains, hazelnuts and almonds.Of the three nuts, the peanuts have by far the strongest flavour but it was obvious there was a mix - personally I'd have preferred the other two but I know I'm in a minority there!
The chocolate was fine, I don't remember anything too cheap or sickly tasting but I just could not get the idea of hot chocolate out of my head! I really think it tastes how eating hot chocolate would but that could well be my nostrils tricking my taste buds!

7/10 


No comments:

Post a Comment