Wednesday 2 December 2015

Bisca Danish Cookies


It's December! Which means it's nearly Christmas and that means my favourite biscuit of all time is readily available everywhere. Danish Cookies remind me of two things; Christmas and my Irish Nan. I was one of the lucky ones - my nan actually had biscuits in her tin, no sewing crap in here.
I thought I'd use my world food review as an excuse to try a different brand from my usual and I got this quite large box from Bisca (they're by Royal Appointment to The Royal Danish Court dontcha know!) in one of the cheaper shops. 


I'm used to them coming in a hard tin rather than a flimsy cardboard box so into an air tight jar they went, they were never going to last long when I could see them! 


I didn't even bother trying to be sensible with my portions. I took at least 2 of each, 3 of my favourites. 
I'm sure that, with the exception of the cookie in the immediate top centre, they are all the same flavour but some just have a sugar coating. It must be my brain playing tricks but I'm sure the shape affects the taste, the pretzel shaped obviously tastes the best, then the small square, the swirled next and lastly the small roundish one. 
I don't think I've ever eaten a bad Danish Cookie, they're just butter, vanilla and sugar after all so a bit hard to mess up and these were just as tasty as I expected. Crispy and crunchy but still feeling somehow soft with a delicious buttery, delicate vanilla flavour. Of course the sugar coated are sweeter than the others but the hard crunchy sugar granules are very pleasing to bite. 
The cookie in the top centre is the black sheep of the box. A lot of the time this cookie is actually coconut flavoured but in Bisca I could only taste the same buttery vanilla. It did have large chewy raisins/currants for a little twist and the flavour and texture were spot on. 
Bisca Danish Cookies were never going to get a bad review from me but I can't help but compare them to the undisputed King of Danish Cookies, Royal Dansk. 


While Royal Dansk are a solid 9/10 (10/10 on a particularly festive day!) these will have to be 
8/10 




No comments:

Post a Comment