Wednesday 14 October 2015

Hershey's Candy Cane



Last weeks Wednesday review was a dissapointing chocolate from Duty Free in the good old U.S.A, I thought I'd stick with America and seeing as all my reviews lately have had a seasonal theme to them, go with one of theirs. 
This is Hershey's Candy Cane.
I incorrectly assumed, as the packaging is very similar, that this would be Hershey's cookie & cream bar with some candy cane pieces but it's actually a mint candy with candy bits. 


The bar is in the same long, wide, very thin shape as all the single serving Hershey's I've tried are and it looks like a white chocolate bar with chicken pox, yum! I'll try to not be too biased in this review but it's going to be hard - I don't particularly like Hershey's and I don't really like mint chocolate. In fact I don't even know why I let my husband talk me into buying these.. 
If there was any confusion before as to what the candy (not chocolate) was, the smell of mint smacked me in the face before I'd even properly opened the wrapper. It smelt nice and fresh but it was all I could smell, no hint of the sickly sweet base Hershey's use. 


My first few squares were awful. There's no other way to put it. Ridiculously minty which once I'd finally swallowed each mouthful was followed by a strange sweet creamy flavour. It didn't have the weird flavour I remember some Hershey's to have but it could well have been there, the mint would have overpowered it though. The best way to describe it would be like brushing your teeth then having a big bite of a Milky Bar chocolate before you've rinsed or spat. 
Thankfully the mint dulled down a little in the rest of the bar but then I had the opposite problem - taking a bite of Milky Bar and starting to brush your teeth before you've eaten it. 
The candy pieces added some nice crunch to the bar but no flavour, they are sugar sprinkles basically so probably were what caused this to be overly sweet (I ended up with the dreaded throat burn afterwards) but again the mint was so powerful. 
It got better the further into the bar I ate, purely because it wasn't as minty and the creamy candy became the first flavour but really its only because the first bites were so bad.   
Overly sweet, far too minty and not great quality chocolate (candy). 
I've got a feeling Mr.1T will like it because he loves sickly sweet white chocolate and likes mint chocolate, but there's a good chance it will be too much even for him. 
3/10 




No comments:

Post a Comment