Sunday 25 October 2015

Annabelle's Rocky Road S'mores & Sour Apple Laffy Taffy - Taffy Mail


Handmade milk chocolate coated marshmallow with real Graham Cracker and cashews. 

First out of my Taffy Mail box and the one I was looking most forward to was the Annabelle's Rocky Road S'mores. A s'more is "a traditional nighttime campfire treat popular in the USA and Canada consisting of a roasted marshmallow and a layer of chocolate sandwiched between two pieces of graham cracker" and a graham cracker from what I can see online is like a thinner slightly sweet digestive biscuit. 


It's a big old bar that smelt delicious, a sweet mixture of marshmallow and chocolate and it had a real handmade authentic look to it. 
The marshmallow had a lovely sweet flavour and is soft, fluffy and gooey - stretching between the two halves when I snapped it. It isn't like chewing a proper marshmallow though, it's much lighter than that but it is thicker and chewier than marshmallow fluff. 
The chocolate isn't so much of an aftertaste, it has a stronger flavour than that but I couldn't really taste it until the marshmallow had melted in my mouth. It's not bad chocolate actually - one of the better American chocolates I've tried though it's still mega sweet! 


One of the three ingredients in S'mores are the Graham Crackers so I expected them to be more prominent here and I probably would have noticed it more had there been two layers, both on the top and bottom of the bar rather than just the top. 
Once I got a mouthful with sufficient marshmallow, chocolate and biscuit/cracker though, it was amazing. Sweet, chewy, chocolatey, crunchy goodness! The marshmallow stood out the most which I expected as it takes up easily three quarters of the bar. I forgot until writing this review that there were supposed to be cashews, I'm guessing they are what gives the bar it's nobbly appearance and what made some parts a lot crunchier than others but they weren't very noticable and I didn't really taste anything nutty. However I'll let that slide as they're all handmade apparently so the consistency of the cashews can be forgiven! 
The marshmallow itself is very tasty, the chocolate and crackers are nice enough but all three together were pretty damn good. If you aren't a bit of a sugar fiend like me though be warned, this is a very sweet treat but one I recommend! 
7/10 


Next was another from my Amazon wish list - Sour Apple Laffy Taffy Rope. Apologies for the terrible photo, this was so long it was impossible to photo the whole thing. I'll hand it over to Wikipedia to explain what Taffy is. 
Taffy, or chews, are a type of candy similar to toffee. Taffy is often sold alongside bubblegum and hard candy. Taffy is made by stretching or pulling a sticky mass of boiled sugar, butter or vegetable oil, flavorings, and coloring until it becomes aerated (meaning that tiny air bubbles are produced, resulting in a light, fluffy and chewy candy.
Laffy Taffy get their name from the fact jokes are printed on the wrapper, I won't bother telling you what they are - they're worse than the Penguin wrapper jokes! 


The photo doesn't so justice to how neon green this was and if smellovision existed, I have no doubt I'd still be able to smell the super strong apple even now hours later - I know I can from the wrapper in the bin!! 
Wikipedia may claim it's similar to toffee but I've never had such a soft toffee in my life, not that it's a bad thing - I really liked the texture. It was extremely sticky, smooth and soft but was still nice and chewy. Once I'd chewed a section (seriously it's longer than my placemats) it seemed to melt away in my mouth. 
The apple flavour is intense; very strong and although it wasn't scrunch my face up sour, still sour enough to be called sour apple. I dread to think what crazy E numbers are used but this is what a proper sour sweet should taste like. The banana flavour is already in my shopping basket. 
8/10 







No comments:

Post a Comment